What is the Takata recall about?
The Takata recall covers an industry-wide issue involving defective airbags supplied by Takata Corporation. The Takata airbag recall is the largest automotive recall in history. About 70 million US vehicles made by 33 different manufacturers from 2000–2017 are currently impacted.
When the defective airbags are exposed to high heat and high humidity over a number of years, the chemicals used to inflate the airbag may deteriorate. If the defective airbag is triggered by a crash, the airbag can explode and shoot sharp metal fragments at people inside the car, causing serious injury or death.
Although no incidents have been reported in Jaguar or Land Rover vehicles to date, more than 20 deaths and hundreds of injuries have been recorded by other manufacturers.
We urge all drivers with affected vehicles to have these free recall repairs completed immediately for your safety and the safety of your loved ones.
What Jaguar Land Rover cars are affected?
Jaguar Land Rover has approximately 110,000 vehicles affected by the Takata recall, roughly split between two models:
2007-2012 Range Rover
2010-2015 Jaguar XF Sedan
To find out if your Jaguar Land Rover vehicle is affected by this recall, please enter your vehicle identification number (VIN) by following the link below:
· This recall does not affect the Range Rover Sport, Range Rover Evoque, or Range Rover Velar.
· No other Jaguar or Land Rover vehicles are included in this recall.
· Only the front passenger-side airbag is affected by this recall.
What other cars are affected?
To find out if you, a family member or a friend has a vehicle containing a defective Takata airbag requiring a recall repair, please check the automobile’s VIN or license plate at AirbagRecall.com.
Whom do I call to get this fixed?
Call your local Jaguar or Land Rover Retailer to schedule a FREE replacement of your passenger-side airbag. This replacement takes about two to three hours. Parts are in stock and readily available.
You can locate an authorized Jaguar Land Rover Retailer by using the following link or by contacting Jaguar Land Rover using the contact information below.
Is this repair free?
Yes. This recall is FREE. You will not be charged for this repair. This recall will be carried out completely free of charge and may be performed by any authorized Jaguar or Land Rover Retailer regardless of where the vehicle was purchased.
What is Jaguar Land Rover doing to get 100% of these cars repaired?
Jaguar Land Rover has opened all recall groups ahead of the schedule mandated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. We started repairs in March 2017 and have successfully completed the repair on approximately 50% of vehicles affected by this recall (as of June 2018).
Accordingly, Jaguar Land Rover has secured an adequate supply of replacement airbags to repair all vehicles.
In our pursuit to achieve 100% accountability for all affected Jaguar Land Rover vehicles, Jaguar Land Rover has implemented a multichannel outreach strategy, including:
· Customer Mailings – All mandatory recall letters have been mailed (110,000 x 2). Additionally, more than 200,000 reminder postcards have been sent to unrepaired-vehicle owners. Jaguar Land Rover will continue to mail reminder postcards every other month. To improve the effectiveness of these reminders, Jaguar Land Rover is pursuing ongoing strategies to update owner mailing addresses.
· Email Outreach Campaign – Alternating months with the reminder postcards, Jaguar Land Rover has sent more than 200,000 email reminders to unrepaired-vehicle owners. As with the postcards, Jaguar Land Rover will update owner email addresses to continue to improve customer contact and increase repairs.
· Retailer-led Outreach – Recognizing the importance of community engagement, Jaguar Land Rover is providing lists of unrepaired vehicles to our retailers. These lists allow retailers to reach out to our customers on a local level. We have provided retailers with lists containing more than 70,000 VINs in their local areas.
· Live-operator Phone Calls – Jaguar Land Rover is personally contacting as many unrepaired-vehicle owners as possible via telephone to inform them of the free recall, explain the importance of the fix and schedule an appointment for the repair. These Takata operators are specialists able to handle Takata-related questions and to schedule a repair directly at a retailer; they have placed more than 50,000 calls.
· Remote Customer Assistance – Jaguar Land Rover is working to aid customers who live in states without a Jaguar or Land Rover Retailer. Please call us if this is your situation.
· Salvage Airbag Recovery Program – Jaguar Land Rover has implemented a retrieval program to identify and recover airbags from thousands of salvage and scrap vehicles.
· Used-vehicle Reseller Responsibility – Jaguar Land Rover is encouraging processes with third-party sellers and auction websites to prevent the sale of vehicles with affected Takata airbags.
· Vehicle Exportation Information - We have searched customs and export databases to locate vehicles that have been shipped out of the US. If you have exported your vehicle, please call us and let us know.
I’ve moved or no longer own a Land Rover vehicle.
If you are no longer the owner of an affected vehicle, please let us know. Jaguar Land Rover would also appreciate the name and address of the new owner.
What should I do if I have further questions?
If you have any questions or need assistance in locating your nearest authorized Jaguar Land Rover Retailer, please contact:
The Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre at 1-800-637-6837
You may also contact us by email using the following address: email@example.com
Please include your full name and address and the VIN of your automobile in your email.