LAND ROVER ANNOUNCES NEW MODEL YEAR UPDATES TO 2018 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY
European model shown.
(MAHWAH, N.J.) – November 9, 2017 – Following its introduction earlier this year as a 2017 model, the fifth generation Land Rover Discovery has witnessed strong sales in North America. Now entering its second year of production, Land Rover continues its momentum with the introduction of new technology features, enhancements to its suite of driver assistance systems, expanded powertrain availability and new design options for the 2018 Land Rover Discovery.
U.S. MODELS AND MSRP1
|SE||3.0L S/C Gas V6 (340 hp / 332 lb-ft)||ZF 8-Speed Auto||$52,090|
|SE Td6||3.0L T/C Diesel V6 (254 hp / 443 lb-ft)||ZF 8-Speed Auto||$54,090|
|HSE||3.0L S/C Gas V6 (340 hp / 332 lb-ft)||ZF 8-Speed Auto||$58,490|
|HSE Td6||3.0L T/C Diesel V6 (254 hp / 443 lb-ft)||ZF 8-Speed Auto||$60,490|
|HSE Luxury||3.0L S/C Gas V6 (340 hp / 332 lb-ft)||ZF 8-Speed Auto||$65,490|
|HSE Luxury Td6||3.0L T/C Diesel V6 (254 hp / 443 lb-ft)||ZF 8-Speed Auto||$67,490|
2018 MODEL YEAR ENHANCEMENTS
All derivatives of the 2018 Land Rover Discovery now feature the Land Rover InControl® Touch Pro™ infotainment system with a 10-inch touchscreen interface on the center console as standard.3 Digital connectivity is also enhanced with the introduction of 4G Wi-Fi, providing superior connection speeds for up to eight mobile devices on the move.2
For the 2018 model year, the Land Rover Discovery also benefits from the addition of a 12.3-inch Interactive Driver Display TFT instrument cluster as standard fitment on HSE and HSE Luxury models. The high-resolution panel provides contemporary graphics that create the impression of 3D surfaces with exceptional clarity and allow the driver to personalize the visual display around the two main dials working in conjunction with the now standard 10-inch Touch Pro infotainment system.3
The 2018 Discovery adds a second-generation Head-Up Display (HUD) as an option on HSE and HSE Luxury models, featuring a wider level of functionality and new full-color display. Now with approximately 2.5 times more display space than its predecessor, the second-gen HUD allows for information such as speed, traffic sign recognition, Adaptive Cruise Control, gear selection and advanced driver assistance system warnings to be projected more clearly onto the windshield ahead of the driver. System functionality has also been expanded to show real time graphics, text, 4x4i and enhanced navigation cues.5
On the exterior, a new Bryon Blue colorway is added to the paint palette. Additionally, while vehicles with Dynamic and Black Packages were previously limited to feature Corris Grey or Narvik Black contrast roofs, 2018 owners can now spec a body-colored roof for either of these packages as a no cost option.
Previously exclusive to HSE and HSE Luxury models, the powerful and efficient Td6 diesel engine will now be offered on SE derivatives as well. Delivering 254 hp and 443 lb.-ft. of torque from its 3.0L turbocharged V6 engine and paired to a ZF® 8-speed automatic transmission, the Td6 offers strong performance and increased efficiency over gas models both during normal driving and while towing.4
Carrying over from the 2017 model year, an optional Advanced Tow Assist technology can provide semi-autonomous assistance to the driver when reversing a trailer. Using the rotary Terrain Response® 2 controller on the center console, the driver can “steer” the trailer using guide lines overlaid on the 10-inch Touch Pro infotainment screen; the vehicle determines which steering inputs are required to achieve the desired outcome and the driver is only responsible for modulating brake and throttle.5 In addition to Advanced Tow Assist, other towing capabilities of the vehicle include:• Rear Height Assist – helps the driver to lower and raise the height of the rear of the vehicle making hitching a trailer simple
• Hitch Assist – guides the driver to the trailer hitch point by displaying trajectory lines on the touchscreen feed which simplifies the process
• Trailer Stability Assist – provides assistance by detecting trailer sway and reducing the speed of the vehicle to help restore control to the driver
The 2018 Discovery now features the company’s Emergency Braking system with pedestrian detection as standard.5 Previously only available as a standalone option, the new standard feature is designed to detect adult or child pedestrians, as well as other vehicles in the road and provide assistance in reducing the braking distance at speeds up to 37 mph.
The feature uses a forward-facing camera mounted next to the rear view mirror to calculate and analyze the distance of objects in front of the car using a sophisticated on-board computer. In the event of a possible forward traffic collision, the system alerts the driver with visual and audible warnings. In the event a collision cannot be avoided the vehicle will apply emergency braking at speeds as low as 5 km/h (3.1 mph) and up to 80 km/h (49.7 mph).5
Carrying over from the 2017 model year, the 2018 Discovery continues to offer an optional seven-passenger seating option. Available as an option on SE and HSE models, seating for seven full-size adults is standard on HSE Luxury models. When combined with seven-passenger seating, the Discovery also allows for powered storage and configuration of rows two and three, utilizing an optional Intelligent Seat Fold technology.6
This unique technology uses a series of small and efficient motors, which allow the third-row seats7 to be folded in as little as 12 seconds. The seats in row two can be raised or lowered in 15 seconds. They also feature their own button (outside shoulder of the seat) allowing passengers to individually raise or lower the seat back to get into and out of the third row. Seats can also be adjusted remotely using the InControl® Remote smartphone app technology,6 allowing customers to rearrange the seating layout before they reach the vehicle; for example from the store checkout line when purchasing bulky items.
For more information on the 2018 Land Rover Discovery visit LandRoverUSA.com/Discovery.
- All prices shown are Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price. Excludes $995 destination/handling charge, tax, title, license, and retailer fees, all due at signing, and optional equipment. Retailer price, terms and vehicle availability may vary. See your local authorized Land Rover Retailer for details.
- The Wi-Fi hotspot is intended for passenger use only. InControl features may require an additional subscription with separate terms and conditions.
- Do not use Land Rover InControl® features under conditions that will affect your safety or the safety of others. Driving while distracted can result in loss of vehicle control.
- 2017 EPA estimates of 16 city/21 highway mpg for the 3.0L supercharged gas V6 Land Rover Discovery and 21 city/26 highway mpg for models with the 3.0L turbocharged diesel V6 engine; 2018 EPA figures have not been released at the time of publication. Actual mileage may vary.
- These features are not a substitute for driving safely with due care and attention and will not function under all circumstances, speeds, weather and road conditions, etc. Driver should not assume that these features will correct errors of judgment in driving. Please consult the owner's manual or your local authorized Land Rover Retailer for more details.
- Land Rover InControl® Remote™ app and data plan with a mobile network operator is required to remotely interact with your vehicle. Intelligent Seat Fold feature on app is included on vehicles equipped with optional seven-position power seating.
- Third-row seating is an optional feature on select Discovery models.